Thursday, May 10, 2012

Danica Patrick Will Have New Cup Spotter at Darlington

Per ESPN, Danica Patrick will have a new spotter for Saturday's Sprint Cup race at Darlington Raceway in Tab Boyd, a former spotter for Juan Pablo Montoya and an employee at Earnhardt Ganassi Racing.

Boyd will replace Mark Robertson as Patrick makes her second Cup start of the season.

"That was definitely something that I've been thinking a lot about the last couple of months," Patrick said Thursday during a promotion for the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway. "As a driver you just need to have someone on the radio that you click with. Everybody needs something different.

"For me, I need someone ... I'm going to say, almost drive the car. Like, tell me you're turning in too early, tell me be patient with the throttle; OK, pick it up. I need somebody that is familiar with those patterns, because I'm not."Patrick will remain with Truck Series driver Rick Carelli as her Nationwide spotter.