Saturday, April 21, 2012

Truex, MWR Start Contract Extension Talks

Per ESPN.com, Don't look for Martin Truex Jr. to leave Michael Waltrip Racing after his contract expires in 2012. Team owner Michael Waltrip said on Saturday at Kansas Speedway the organization is negotiating with Truex and primary sponsor NAPA on an extension. Truex is fourth in points, one out of second place, heading into Sunday's Sprint Cup race. "NAPA is very happy right now," Waltrip said. "Everybody would be very happy to go into 2013 just like this." Truex said he never felt like he was on the hot seat coming into this season, and he's confident he will be with MWR long-term. "I know where I stand with my race team, Michael and (co-owner) Rob (Kaufman)," Truex said. "There was never a part of me that said I need to step it up, I need to do better.