Wednesday, February 27, 2013

UPDATED: NASCAR Suspends Jeremy Clements for Using Racial Slur

NASCAR has indefinitely suspended Nationwide Series drive Jeremy Clements for making an “intolerable and insensitive remark” during the course of an interview, according to senior vice president of racing operations Steve O’Donnell.

NASCAR announced the suspension was a violation of its code of conduct, but provided no other details.  (SI.com)


UPDATED: Nationwide Series driver Jeremy Clements was suspended indefinitely on Wednesday for using a racial slur in an interview with a writer at Daytona International Speedway, a source told ESPN.com.

Clements, who finished 33rd after parking early with an oil line problem, released this statement: "I apologize and regret what I said to the NASCAR writer and to NASCAR, my sponsors, my fans, and my team. NASCAR has a Code of Conduct that everyone must follow and I unintentionally violated that code.

"I will not get into specifics of what I said, but my comment to the writer was in no way meant to be disrespectful or insensitive to anyone or to be detrimental to NASCAR or the NASCAR Nationwide Series. I will do what I need to do in order to atone for my error in judgment.'' (ESPN)